Sunday, August 31, 2008

What does it mean to deserve?

I've been thinking about this in regards to my enemies lately. I admit, I'm angry with them and I want them to suffer. They should suffer as I have, right? They don't deserve for me to be nice to them.

It's very easy to justify our treatment of our enemies. After all, they aren't our enemies because they were so darn nice to us, right?

A friend of mine posted a very simple, but God-smacking blog the other day that got me thinking about it. And here's what I came up with.

What does it mean to deserve?

If we look at God's point of view, because of our sin, we deserve death. And yet, though we did nothing to deserve it, Jesus died to save us from that death.

The world says we're supposed to get what we deserve.

Jesus said we don't have to get what we deserve.

So when we treat our enemies as they deserve, are we being of the world? Or of Jesus?

And which do you want? To get what you deserve? Or not to get what you deserve?

Because suddenly, I'm not so sure I've been acting right towards my enemies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home